Thursday, April 23, 2015

I've Had a Good Day If…

My attitude is so easily shaped by my circumstances. I find myself telling people I’ve had a good day if J has napped well, if I accomplished all the tasks on my list, if ...

The rest of my day can be ruined if J wakes up too early or if he doesn't take a long morning nap, revealing the idolatrous way I exalt control in my life.

In the blog post The Idols of a Mother’s Heart, Christina Fox wrote these words: “When you are upset because you can’t do something you’ve wanted to do, it might be because that thing has become an idol in your heart.”

Ouch! That statement accurately describes my life when my day does not go as planned, which is every day. How can I war against this idol of my heart?

I read Psalm 90 yesterday and verse 12 confronted my thoughts about the definition of a “good day.”



I desperately long for a heart of wisdom. How is this “heart of wisdom” achieved?

“In view of the theme of the psalm, this refers especially to the ability to make the most of one’s days, since they are so few. The heart of wisdom would enable the faithful to live by the right priorities.” (note in the English Standard Version study Bible)

It’s not easy, but by the power of God’s Spirit in me, I can fix my gaze on Jesus and rely on Him to help me make the most of my days because they truly are so few. My sanctification requires my full participation. I cannot spend my days harboring bitterness toward God or others, reacting in anger when I realize I’m not in control, and expect to wake up tomorrow thankful for the time I have to parent my sweet little guy during my short sojourn on this earth. The days are too fleeting not to fight for contentment and God is too worthy for me to wallow in ingratitude.

I pray we will be people who pursue Jesus and declare our days are good because He is alive and working all things, even the hard things, for our good and His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment