Sunday, May 15, 2016

Life as a Mother of 8: An Interview with Frances Williams

As a mother of eight who has been faithfully walking with Jesus for many years, I asked my Grandma to offer up her knowledge and experience to me and other moms. My Grandma is an example of perseverance, so I knew she could provide some insight into motherhood as I go through this journey with God using my kids to change my selfish heart. I hope you are encouraged as you read from the perspective of someone who has endured all we endure as moms and who now has 16 grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren.

Background
How did you and granddaddy meet?
We met on a blind date. I had a friend who was dating a guy from the Flat Creek area. He would bring a friend and if I wasn’t busy, I’d go out with them. He kept talking about this guy, and I never thought much about him. One night, Ruth came to the door, and I agreed to go with them. To my surprise, a guy in uniform with one leg and crutches was with them. At the end of the night, he said something like, “W.L.’s got a standing date. Can I come back?” I told him, “Well, yes, if you want to.” Years later, he told me, and W.L. verified it, that when I was at the door with Ruth and he saw me, he told W.L., “That’s the girl I’m gonna marry.” Me? No. Spend my life with a one legged man? Well, you know things changed.

How old were you when you got married? How old was granddaddy?
I was 17, and he was 23.

Describe life as newlyweds in the 1940s.
I really can’t remember details. He moved from Pageland to Heath Springs, and we lived with my mom. He started a business, and that was pretty much it. I didn’t really change my way of life. We had kids, family was close, and we lived from day to day.

What were your thoughts about having children before you and granddaddy got married? Did you always want children? When did you want the children to come? Did you want to have your children close together?
I was going to have 3 kids (2 girls and 1 boy). We had no other plans. Things didn’t work out like that, did they?

What dreams/goals/accomplishments did you and granddaddy want to achieve before having children? Were there any dreams/goals/accomplishments that had to be delayed? What were your feelings about this? Have those feelings changed?
I really don’t remember many of those. We went from day to day, using the resources we had. God took care of us. There’s no other way we would have survived.

Baby Blessings
When were your children born?
Baby #1- March 1, 1946
Baby #2- July 12, 1947
Baby #3- May 25, 1948
Baby #4- April 5, 1950
Baby #5- March 26, 1952
Baby #6- January 13, 1956
Baby #7- June 15, 1957
Baby #8- November 21, 1964

 What thoughts and reactions did you experience prior to each baby’s arrival?
Nothing special. I was just thankful they were healthy and we were able to feed and clothe them.

Describe your adjustment to motherhood.
I can’t. I just did what had to be done.

Describe what life was like with eight children.
Impossible, busy, time consuming, exciting, scary. Regrets for having them- none.

What are comments, positive or negative, you heard as a mother of eight?
People said things like, “Oh, I feel so sorry you have so many to take care of” and “I don’t see how you can do all that work.”

How did you respond to negative comments?
I told people that the children do their part because each of them had certain things to do and they accepted their responsibilities.

What have you enjoyed the most about being a mom?
I have enjoyed watching them excel in things they wanted to do.

What was your biggest struggle?
Getting them ready for the school bus in the morning.

Where did you work? Did you have to work?
I went to work after we moved to Liberty Hill. I didn’t have to work. I took a neighbor to apply for a job, but I filled out an application, too, just because. It just so happened, your granddaddy was visiting a fellow veteran, who also had one leg. His wife mentioned she had seen my application but that she didn’t call because she didn’t think I really wanted a job. Well, your granddaddy said, “She might.” She called the next morning. I went up to Skyline and started work the next day.

 Additional Advice and Encouragement
What is life like now that your children are grown?
I’m enjoying a few lazy moments and feeling glad they are pretty healthy. I’m trying to be a “good” counselor if asked for advice.

What is the most important lesson you have learned as a mother?
Take every day as important. Accept help when offered!! Let your children learn to do things on their own. Remember, God is in charge.

Do you have any regrets? Is there anything you would want to do differently or that you would change?
Change my life? No. Change the way I did things? Yes.

How did you protect your marriage in the midst of raising eight children?
It was a joint job. He made the money and taught work ethics. I cooked, shopped, did the laundry, etc.

What would your response be to the question, “How did you do it?” in regards to being a mom of eight children?
I took care of the children during the day and asked God to take care of them at night while I slept. I realized there were times when I couldn’t be there with them and had to remember who was in charge.


Thank you, Grandma, for sharing your wisdom and insight into the stresses and joys of motherhood. I have been challenged to relinquish control and surrender to the Lord as I care for my beautiful babies. My perspective of parenthood is often shaped by the current culture instead of God’s Word, and I feel entitled to ease and comfort in being a mom (free time, good naps that lead to more free time, well-behaved children at all times). By your hard work, done joyfully and with contentment, you have demonstrated that even when our lives don’t go as planned, we can yield control, trust the Lord as His perfect plan unfolds, and rest in Him. I pray I will leave a rich legacy of children, grandchildren, and great-children who are blessed by my example as I follow Christ just as you have blessed your family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment